Stage Six of the 2015 Dakar Rally saw Team HRC Honda rider Helder Rodrigues on top at the 318 km special stage giving him his first stage win this year. Red Bull KTM Rider and rookie Toby Price followed in second place while it was another HRC Honda with Paulo Goncalves on board who wrapped up the top three spots for the day.
Rodriques, a two time Dakar Podium finisher has been slowly moving up the ranks since the opening stage of this year’s event and now stands sixth in the overall ranking, moving up from tenth position in the previous day’s stage.
Red Bull Rider Marc Coma wasn’t so lucky on stage six as he met with a crash during the early hours of the day’s rally. Followed by Honda rider Joan Barreda, the riders tackled the stage almost neck to neck when due to a navigational error, both of them lost their way and started going off course, quickly to correct, but unfortunately lost quite a bit of time in the process.
Even HRC Honda rider Pablo Quintanilla had a rough day where he initially faced technical issues with his machine and later on suffered from a navigation error, dropping him down to the fourth best timing of the day, still ahead of Barreda and Coma who came in at sixth and eighth respectively.
Another KTM rider and Price’s teammate Matthias Walkner faced severe technical issues with his KTM 450 Rally machine, lost more than two hours from the overall leader but managed to finish the stage. Stefan Svitko on his KTM crossed the line in fifth place ahead of Joan Barreda getting his overall rank up to eighth.
At the end of the day, Team HRC Honda Rider Joan Barreda still leads the overall ranking and was a whole 12 minutes ahead of trailing four-time Dakar champion Marc Coma. Another Honda with Paulo Goncalves stands at overall third ahead of Pablo Quintanilla in the overall fourth position.
2015 Dakar Rally Stage 6 Results
1. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 3:40:10
2. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 3:41:20
3. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 3:41:52
4. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 3:46:21
5. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 3:46:52
6. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 3:47:30
7. Jeremias Israel, CHL (Honda) 3:49:08
8. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 3:49:24
9. Ruben Faria, PRT (KTM) 3:49:44
10. Ivan Jakes, SVK (KTM) 3:54:09
Dakar Rally 2015 Overall Rankings after Stage 6
1. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 21:38:35
2. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 21:51:02
3. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 21:55:47
4. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 22:08:32
5. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 22:12:19
6. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 22:14:39
7. Ruben Faria, PRT (KTM) 22:19:02
8. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 22:20:02
9. Alain Duclos, FRA (Sherco) 22:31:31
10. Jeremias Israel, CHL (Honda) 22:39:23