Stage twelve of the 2015 Dakar Rally saw Red Bull KTM’s Toby Price score a first position, his first for the year, crossing the line two minutes ahead of Team HRC’s Joan Barreda who finished the stage in second position. Following them was another HRC rider and Barreda’s teammate, Paulo Gonclaves, ending the day’s stage in third position.
Stage twelve saw riders commence over a difficult slick surface as they headed out of Termas de Rio Hondo towards Rosario on a 297 km special stage. Starting at a high pace for the day, the stage was led by HRC rider Joan Barreda, but Price soon overtook the Honda rider and maintained his lead till the end. Toby Price kept his blistering pace till the end to secure a win, his first for the 2015 Dakar Rally.
At the end of the day, Paulo Goncalves shaved off about four minutes off the overall leader and four-time Dakar champion, Marc Coma’s pace but it simply wasn’t enough to put Coma off the top spot. While Coma, who was very aware that any minor issue that would endanger his fifth Dakar win, rode cautiously during the first half of the stage, and slowly and carefully started picking up the pace during the later half, finishing at sixth place for the day.
Slovakian rider Ivan Jakes finished stage twelve in fourth position, with slightly more than 3 minutes off the race leader’s pace while his countryman Stefan Svitko took on the fifth position.
2015 Dakar Rally Stage 12 Results
1. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 3:19:04
2. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 3:20:59
3. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 3:22:06
4. Ivan Jakes, SVK (KTM) 3:22:12
5. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 3:24:05
6. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 3:25:29
7. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 3:27:44
8. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 3:29:11
9. Frans Verhoeven, NLD (Yamaha) 3:29:55
10. Laia Sanz, ESP (Honda) 3:31:46
2015 Dakar Rally Overall Rankings after Stage 12
1. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 45:08:32
2. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 45:26:21
3. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 45:33:50
4. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 45:45:29
5. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 45:55:15
6. Ruben Faria, PRT (KTM) 46:59:11
7. David Casteu, FRA (KTM) 47:03:41
8. Laia Sanz, ESP (Honda) 47:28:09
9. Ivan Jakes, SVK (KTM) 47:30:01
10. Oliver Pain, FRA (Yamaha) 48:12:53