During stage five of the 2015 Dakar Rally, Spaniard Marc Coma showcased his skills of riding across sand dunes and emerged first by the end of the day in the 494 km stage. The Red Bull KTM Team rider emerged 2:16 minutes ahead of Honda’s Joan Barreda while KTM support rider Pablo Quintanilla came in third place.
While it was a successful day for Coma as he tackled through the fine dust and rocks of the Atacama Desert, the KTM rider still trails behind the top overall ranker, Team HRC Honda’s Barreda by 10:33 minutes. Barreda who has been quite consistent since the start of the rally now prepares for the upcoming marathon stages as he will pursue his first Dakar title.
Behind Quintanilla was another KTM-supported rider Stefan Svitko from Slovakia while Team HRC Honda’s Paolo Conclaves of Portugal finished stage five at fifth position.
British rider Sam Sunderland suffered a crash during Wednesday’s stage four and was forced to retire from the 2015 Dakar Rally due to some damaged ligaments, although no serious injuries.
While this year both Honda and KTM riders have been enjoying the top spots in the end of the stages, Yamaha is no where to be seen, and the same result followed with stage five as well, with Yamaha rider Pedrero Garcia coming in at a distant twelfth position, 16:49 minutes behind the winning pace.
Dakar Rally Stage 5 Results 2015
1. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 4:38:16
2. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 4:40:32
3. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 4:40:56
4. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 4:42:10
5. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 4:42:53
6. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 4:44:51
7. Jeremias Israel, CHL (Honda) 4:45:26
8. Matthias Walkner, AUT (KTM) 4:45:40
9. Alain Duclos, FRA (Sherco) 4:48:13
10. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 4:48:21
Dakar Rally 2015 Overall Rankings after Stage 5
1. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 17:51:05
2. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 18:01:38
3. Paulo Goncalves, PRT (Honda) 18:13:55
4. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 18:22:11
5. Jordi Viladoms, ESP (KTM) 18:27:28
6. Ruben Faria, PRT (KTM) 18:29:18
7. Matthias Walkner, AUT (KTM) 18:29:41
8. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 18:30:59
9. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 18:33:10
10. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 18:34:29